Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Goodbye Larry Norman

Larry Norman passed away over the weekend.

Goodbye and thank you for the many years of encouragement, insight, and leadership as you followed in His footsteps.


A song by Larry Norman (1947-2008)

Here is the letter he wrote the day before he died:

"I feel like a prize in a box of cracker jacks with God's hand reaching down to pick me up. I have been under medical care for months. My wounds are getting bigger. I have trouble breathing. I am ready to fly home.

My brother Charles is right, I won't be here much longer. I can't do anything about it. My heart is too weak. I want to say goodbye to everyone. In the past you have generously supported me with prayer and finance and we will probably still need financial help.

My plan is to be buried in a simple pine box with some flowers inside. But still it will be costly because of funeral arrangement, transportation to the gravesite, entombment, coordination, legal papers etc. However money is not really what I need, I want to say I love you.

I'd like to push back the darkness with my bravest effort. There will be a funeral posted here on the website, in case some of you want to attend. We are not sure of the date when I will die. Goodbye, farewell, we will meet again.

Goodbye, farewell, we'll meet again
Somewhere beyond the sky.
I pray that you will stay with God
Goodbye, my friends, goodbye."

Larry


Some more LN videos:






7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He spoke to me in his songs like no one else at such a young age. LN's simple way of communicating God's truths encouraged me and inspired me to stick with it and to keep my mind and heart focused on God. He will be greatly missed and appreciated and respected by me. What a gift from God LN was.
-Keith Oliver

10:22 AM  
Blogger kennyo said...

Right, he had a major influence on me as well. Since I first heard "I Wish We'd All Been Ready", not even knowing who Larry Norman was, I remember thinking how cool that song was. It wasn't until 3 or 4 years later did I realize who this guy was and how powerful his lyrics and artistic abilities were.

He was truly one-of-a-kind.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was " In Another Land" that got me hooked to LN back in 1977
since then I could not get enough of LN's music. The 3 different times I saw him in concert he was always great to hear . I saw him in Lynchburg , Va. once and there was a huge snow storm and he still played the concert and it was the most encouraging concert that I've ever been to , there was only 6 people there and he still did the show . I always bought his records and still have many have them ( the ones I don't have my brothers will not give back to me).
I know he is with his Father and we will see him again .
Thank you Jesus for the gifts you give to the Church.
Mike Oliver

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Death is so strange and final and foriegn in many ways , however the christian's death is so sweet and comforting and familiar.
It does not leave one's mind quick.
To be with Christ not interrupted...what a perfect thought.
Mike Oliver

10:13 AM  
Blogger kennyo said...

Psalm 116:15

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Mike and Kenny,
Wasn't that concert great? Larry looked so cool when he came out all dressed in black.

Hope you are all doing well.

Marc Heinrich

10:29 PM  
Blogger Phil Perkins said...

Wow! That takes me back a bit.

His music always called for repentance and highlighted the seriousness of refecting Christ. "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" was a song-sermon about coming judgment, but the prophet was a compassionate prophet.

Phil Perkins.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home