Tuesday, January 29, 2008

THE SPIRIT AS TEACHER

"O God the Holy Spirit,

That which I know not, teach thou me,

Keep me a humble disciple in the school

of Christ,

learning daily there what I am in myself,

a fallen sinful creature,

justly deserving everlasting destruction;

O let me never lose sight of my need of a Saviour,

or forget that apart from him I am nothing,

and can do nothing.

Open my understanding to know

the Holy Scriptures;

Reveal to my soul the counsels and works

of the blessed Trinity;

Instil into my dark mind the saving knowledge

of Jesus;

Make me acquainted with his covenant undertakings

and his perfect fulfilment of them,

that by resting on his finished work

I may find the Father’s love in the Son,

his Father, my Father,

and may be brought through thy influence

to have fellowship with the Three in One.

O lead me into all truth, thou Spirit of wisdom

and revelation,

that I may know the things that belong unto

my peace,

and through thee be made anew.

Make practical upon my heart the Father’s love

as thou hast revealed it in the Scriptures;

Apply to my soul the blood of Christ, effectually,

continually,

and help me to believe, with conscience

comforted, that it cleanseth from all sin;

Lead me from faith to faith,

that I may at all times have freedom to come

to a reconciled Father,

and may be able to maintain peace with him

against doubts, fears, corruptions, temptations.

Thy office is to teach me to draw near to Christ

with a pure heart,

steadfastly persuaded of his love,

in the full assurance of faith.

Let me never falter in this way."

--The Valley of Vision

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home