Monday, May 15, 2006

Spiritual Formation & Small Groups

YIKES!!!

THIS looks like a deadly combination (spiritually speaking). Small groups teaching Spiritual Disciplines Richard Foster style. I hope this doesn't catch on in America...or has it already?

I don't have a huge problems with small groups per se as long as they are based on the study of scripture rather than touchy-feely group therapy or as long as there is not a deliberate attempt to create a "group-think" consensus of arriving at biblical truth. Although I think a real small group should be your family. I do have a problem with a small group engaging in the practice of "spiritual disciplines" taught by Richard Foster.

Is THIS one of the things which will be taught from Richard Foster?

Wow...what ever happened to good old-fashioned bible study and prayer?

-KTO

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was introduced to Foster through a small group years ago (not specifically a small group encouraged through his ministry though as you linked). This was just going through his "Prayer" book.
For years I regarded Foster as generally "good" and would have recommended the book. Well God doesn't let us sit in ignorance forever. It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I started researching about Foster for myself and found out a bit of who Foster likes to quote. That really made me look at him a bit differently. I now do not recommend this author and see that it is heading down the wrong path.

9:04 AM  
Blogger kennyo said...

Janean,

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you came to that conclusion.

9:11 AM  
Blogger nancy said...

Yes, you too can embark on your spiritual journey and learn from other non-Christian traditions. Don't worry, you can ignore that little admonishion (Deut. 12:4) about not worshiping God the way the pagans worship their gods. Enjoy the trip..

http://www.renovare.org/journey_training.htm

(Please pardon the oozing sarcasm. I get a dose of Foster fairly regularly and need to fast from spiritual formation. Just gimme the Word and the Holy Spirit.)

10:33 AM  
Blogger kennyo said...

It's OK Nancy, sarcasm is welcome here. It's one of the ways we are ab le to cope

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Foster highly recommend the poor interpretation/paraphrase of the bible "The Message" by Eugene Peterson. And wasn't Foster one of the editors for the Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible.

He calls the Book of Genesis a myth which was passed down through time which, gradually took on a theological meaning and because of this, the oral story took on other cultural beliefs and that is how we have the book of genesis today!!

11:34 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

Vee - Did Foster actually say this in the Spiritual Formation Bible? I'm trusting your post, but I want to see this for myself so I can reference it in future conversations. - thx

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I just bought a book by Foster, not having heard this. I just checked out the "Genesis" myth above and it is true. Disturbing.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home