Who is Really a Christian?
I believe this is one of the most important questions we could ask of ourselves. How does a person know he is really a christian?
I am not going to ask somebody else whether I am a true christian or not just as I am not going to ask the friends of Tony Jones whether or not he is a christian, even though they may be quick to answer in the affirmative. I would hope both Tony Jones, all of his friends, and I would look to the infallible Word of God to see if we are really true christians.
The book of 1 John is good to read as a way of checking ourselves to assure that we are living in obedience to Christ (indicator of a true christian). Look at these examples....
• if we say we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness we lie. -1:10
• if we say we have not sin we are a liar -1:10
• we know we know him if we keep his commandments -2:3
• he who says he knows him but does not keep his commandments is a liar -2:4
• whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother, walks in darkness -2:9
• if anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. -2:15
• whoever continues to sin has not seen him and neither knows him. -3:7
• he who keeps his commands abides in him and he in him and we know he abides in us by the Spirit he gives us. -3:24
• if a man says "I love God" but hates his brother, he is a liar -4:20
• by this we know we love the children of God, when we love God and keep his commandments -5:2
• these things were written that you believe on the name of the Son of God that you may KNOW that you have eternal life -5:13
These are some verses from each chapter of 1 John which help us check our standing before God. I would recommend reading all five chapters carefully.
If a person does not use the Word of God as the standard by which to determine the authenticity of his/her faith, this person is being deceived and the consequences will be eternal damnation and separation from the presence of God forever in hell.
What if you think you are a christian but you never read your bible? You never have a desire to pray? You need to go to the doctor for a check-up. You may not be a true christian. You may have a terminal disease which could kill you any minute and it will be too late to do anything about it. True love will warn someone if they look spiritually sick. If you look sick and proud, you may not be a christian like you think you are and you may be on the path to destruction. If you enjoy worldly things and have no desire to spend time with God alone, you may not be a christian. If this is you, you better find out quick and repent and receive God's mercy and grace since He poured out his blood at Calvary with his crucifixion on the cross to pay for your sins and rose from the dead to offer you eternal life through his redemption. You must agree with God about your defiance and rebellion toward his holiness and character which cannot look upon sin. When you do this as David did in Psalm 51, God offers his forgiveness to you. You must first be broken before him and hate the sin in your life and want to get rid of it. Jesus took care of it in his suffering on the cross.
There is way too much at stake here to be flippant with this. Would you like to hear...
"Well done, good and faithful servant! "
"I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" ?
This is the topic Paul Washer is discussing in THIS AUDIO. He boldly challenges his listeners to examine themselves against the Word of God to be assured of salvation in Christ.
Please listen and ask God to speak to you.